About Bourn Airfield
RAF Bourn was initially constructed in 1940 as a satellite station for RAF Oakington. In 1942 the runways were lengthened and throughout the war RAF Bourn was home to squadrons of RAF planes including Lancaster bombers and Mosquitos.
Following the closure of the RAF operations in 1948, the land has hosted a range of uses. Today, the site contains a mix of previously developed land and poor quality agricultural land, and is used for arable farming, recreational flying (through the Rural Flying Corps) and research, development and industrial production. Some of the runways are also used for storage.
The existing employment land (to the north east of the site) is not under Countryside’s control.